Wednesday 31 August 2016

Day 4: Yellow Potato, Mega Stir-friend Veg and Spicy Tarka with yogurt.



Anyone who knows me (Andy) knows that I love spuds and hot food. So this was really the perfect meal for me. But what is really great about this dinner is that almost (really, really almost) everything in the meal was produced by us. This dinner had a million different ingredients and except for some spices, which we can't grow in Ireland, and some ginger, which maybe we can, they all came from our gardens.

 Our ingredients, shop-bought & homegrown:

I just love this picture. On the home grown side we have tomatoes, garlic, chilies courgette, carrots, green pepper, potatoes, beetroot tops, kale, broccoli and red cabbage (plus I forgot to include coriander, chives and yogurt). And on the other side just ginger and spice. 

I started off (naturally) with the potatoes which were sliced in cubes, microwaved a little to take the edge off (you know what spuds are like) and then fried them really slowly in spices - mustard seeds, cumin and turmeric.

 
Then there was the Tarka. We've had an interesting time with our chilies this year - because a lot of them seem quite mild (for chilies) but every once and awhile we get one with a lot of heat. I put one and a half green chilies in this, alongside garlic, ginger, tomatoes and a load of spices, and it was hot enough to do some serious damage. Delish! 
Claudia helped with chopping for the stir-fry. 
Her knife play has really improved since the start of Feastival.

This is how it looked:

This is how we looked:



This is what we said: 


Alíona: 5 out of 5 stars I think it was so delicious, I just wanted more. I wish I could give it six stars.
Brianán: 5 out of 5 stars That was delicious and very spicy. I would have eaten even more of it, especially the broccoli, any day of the week.

Andy: 4 out of 5 stars I really liked the spices, especially our super-hit chili. The Tarka worked great with Brianán's yogurt.

Claudia: 5 out of 5 stars I liked the flavours of the spuds. It was nice and crunchy. I loved the spicy sauce a bit. It was very spicy. And the yogurt.

Coming up tomorrow - we join forces to blog about fresh macheral (hopefully), red-wine red-cabbage, cinamin parsnips and baby spuds.

No comments:

Post a Comment